Monday, February 13, 2012

chicken tetrazzini





I have to be honest... with Jake's non-regular schedule, I've been a fairly lazy cook the past few years, and constantly stick to recipes that are familiar and that I always cook. Lately though I've been venturing out a bit and loving the results.

I have always heard GREAT things about chicken tetrazzini, but never have had it (that I can remember).  Growing up, my dad never liked any sort of pasta - so at best, we would sometimes get spaghetti (my Grandma's recipe, will have to make it for you guys, I am OBSESSED) or macaroni and cheese when dad was out of town. After seeing this Maury video go viral, I knew I had to try some. I mean if Paul loves it, I probably will too.

Unlike my dad, I am probably one of the biggest fans of pasta (I sure love my carbs, girlfriend!), and the other day my mom told me she loves tetrazzini which got me even more excited to try it! I'm glad I went with the idea because it definitely turned out delicious. I actually want to have the leftovers!

Anyway, if you are interested, read more about the recipe below the photos!








Ingredients:

1 box spaghetti (I used whole wheat)
3 cups cooked chicken 
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups shredded monterrey jack cheese
1 tablespoon melted butter
1 1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic (i love garlic)
1 small bag of sliced almonds (i may even add more next time..)
Splash sherry wine for taste
2 tablespoons sour cream
Top with shredded parmesan cheese

I love the almonds because it gives a nice little bite. But they do soften up in the oven, but just the perfect amount!


Directions:

Cook spaghetti as directed. Saute mushrooms until a pale golden, then add onions until also a golden color and last add garlic. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl (I added cheese last). Pour into a 9 x 13 pan and bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes.  Ta da!

To Freeze: Prepare until baking. Cover well then freeze. To serve: Thaw and bake as directed. Enjoy!

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...